UTILITY BILL RATE HISTORY
The Town of Centreville water and sewer rates have remained the same from 2002 until December 2014. In November 2013, the Town Council hired Municipal Financial Services Group to conduct a rate study. After much deliberation, the Town Council decided to implement a “phased in” approach to increasing the utility rates which are designed to pay for operational and capital costs associated with the water and sewer system.
Based on the recommendations to allow for the reduction of water consumption so customers are not paying more than what they use, the rate structure provides those who previously averaged a consumption of 6,000 or less gallons, a reduction in their bill.
FY2015 FY2016 FY2017
Water Minimum Charge (6,000 gallons): $34.00 $42.50 $48.80
Rate per 1,000 gallons over 6,000 gallons: $3.40 $4.30 $4.90
Minimum Charge (6,000 gallons): $44.70 $51.40 $53.80
Rate per 1,000 gallons over 6,000 gallons: $4.50 $5.20 $5.50
Sewer Only Fee: $92.00 $105.80 $111.09
Beginning Fiscal Year 2018 a 4% increase on water rates and sewer rates shall be implemented and each year thereafter unless amended by the Town Council of Centreville. The Council may amend the rate of increase in the ordinance that it passes to adopt the annual budget for the Town.
PUBLIC MEETINGS HELD:
- November 21, 2013 – Utility Rate Presentation at a TC Meeting
- April 3, 2014 – Town Council Meeting Agenda Item
- April 22, 2014 – Utility Rate Work Session
- May 1, 2014 – Utility Rate Work Session
- May 5, 2014 – Utility Rate Work Session
- May 8, 2014 – Utility Rate Public Outreach Meeting
- May 20, 2014 – Utility Rate Public Outreach Meeting
- July 17, 2014 – First Reading – Ordinance 08-2014 – Water/Sewer Rates
- August 4, 2014 – Public Hearing – Ordinance 08-2014 – Water/Sewer Rates
- August 14, 2014 – Second Reading – Ordinance 08-2014 – Water/Sewer Rates
- September 4, 2014 – Consideration – Ordinance 08-2014 – Water/Sewer Rates
COMMUNICATION WITH CUSTOMERS:
- March, 2014 – Newsletter: Article on the utility rate study
- April 22, 2014 – Email Blast: Work Sessions & Public Outreach Meetings
- May 1, 2014 – Email Blast: Work Sessions & Public Outreach Meetings
- May 9, 2014 – Email Blast: Link to 5/8/14 Outreach Meeting video presentation
- May, 2014 – Post cards mailed to each utility account for 5/20/14 Outreach Meeting
- May 16, 2014 – Email Blast: Save the Date for 5/20 Outreach Meeting
- May 27, 2014 – Email Blast: Follow-Up to outreach meetings including link to presentation, Capital Improvement Plan list and video of meeting
- July, 2014 – Advertisement in Record Observer for 8/4/14 Public Hearing
- December, 2014 – Letter mailed with Utility Bill explaining first phase of rate increase and background
- December, 2015 – Letter mailed with utility bill explaining second phase of rate increase
- Leaking toilets
- Leaking faucets
- Leaking pipes
- Outdoor sprinkler systems/watering the lawn and garden
TRASH/RECYCLE/YARD WASTE FEES
At the February 11, 2016 meeting, the Centreville Town Council voted to increase the trash removal (landfill) fee from $37.50 per quarter to $45.00 per quarter. The landfill fee has been at the current rate of $37.50 for over 11 years, since October, 2004. This fee includes the removal of trash, recycle and yard waste and will be shown on your quarterly utility bill.
The Town went through a lengthy bidding process for the trash and recycle service and after careful review, the Town contracted with Chesapeake Waste Industries, LLC.
YARD WASTE REMOVAL
Yard waste is collected by Downes Lawn Service. The last day for yard waste pick-up will be Monday, December 11, 2017.
Yard waste pick-up will resume again on Monday, March 19, 2018 and will continue each Monday until December 10, 2018.